Sunday, October 14, 2007

Psych Meds

I've never thought much about phsych meds. I remember the days when it was all valium, elavil, triavil, lithium, and thorazine. Then the new meds came out. The ones that effect the seratonin uptake in the brain like Prozac. I saw first hand what a person who absolutely shouldn't take prozac was like. My ex was prescribed it and became a completely different person out chasing 19 year olds and masturbating constantly. Then I got talked into trying Paxil, the less evil cousin of Prozac. It was advertised as non-addictive and safe. I noticed good things at first. I became more organized in my thinking and a little less depressed. Then I tried to stop taking it. Whenever I skipped a dose it would feel like I was getting electric shocks through my head that actually hurt. I called the company and they acted like they had never heard of such a thing. Then later I got online and found many, many, others with the same problem. Then I noticed they quit saying it was non-addictive in their commercials. Now I don't see any commercials for it. I got a doctor to switch me to another newer cousin of Paxil called Effexor and I am still stuck taking it. Not for depression, but to stop the horrible withdrawal. My current doctor is planning to find a way to wean me off but it is slow going.
On a better note for psych meds, now they are making many of them that also control pain. I am taking one for bipolar disorder that keeps me on an even keel but I have no clue yet what will happen if I ever want off of it. I do believe it is helping with the pain I live with, too, as I can take less Morphine than I used to to get by. I'm taking Abilify, don't you love the cutesy names they come up with!! At least I'm not gaining weight on this one. Almost all of the others have put weight on me, number one for that being Zyprexa, the makers of whom are in lawsuits for various side effects as are many psych drugs. Who knows. Abilify might be the next class action law suit for making people sit up at night and write blogs...
I do know that I was very much more depressed before starting the Abilify BUT I still wonder about taking it because, truthfully, I live a pretty depressing life. Have lived a depressing life. Only an idiot of someone on drugs would be happy with what I've been through and am going through right now. I take the meds to enjoy what I can of the few good things in my life. I have the love of my children, grandchildren, and a good man. I also have been disowned by a large family for false reasons and am poor and disabled and have a daughter who is junkie with all the problems that entails for the family. My faith in God and an afterlife is shaky and I don't believe in human beings at all. I'm too old and sick now to reach most of my life dreams and I know it.
So..... I take the little blue pills that stop the drying and give me the facade at least of a happy person. Ain't life funny.

No comments: