Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Meet Me at Two

My mother was always reading. She just loved to learn. She also enjoyed studying different things mostly to do with life after death experiences and mental telepathy. Not long before she died she told me that when she died that I should look for her at two o'clock in the afternoon and that she would try to contact me. That was one of our last conversations before she became gravely ill and couldn't communicate with me any more.
The day after she died my brother and I had decided to meet at the funeral home at noon to make her arrangements. My brother, Mike, and I had sadly had to go through this together several times for friends and family we had lost in recent years and Mom had asked to be buried next to where our stepfather and brother were buried. Neither of us had a lot of money left so we were forced to make inexpensive arrangements but someone had pity on us because the casket we reluctantly picked out wasn't in stock so they upgraded us to a much nicer one for the same price.
Mike and his wife, Terry, and my boyfriend Jeremy and I left the funeral home walking out into a bright sunny day. It was a busy day there. It looked like there were a few people like us there to make arrangements as well as at least one funeral in progress and we solemnly worked our way to the car when I heard some one yelling , "Hey! Excuse me! Yes, You!" and we all stopped to let the man catch up with us. He handed me my deceased brother's driver's license and explained, "I found this in the Lobby and thought maybe one of you had dropped it."
I stared at the ID in shock. Herbert had died ten years ago and I carried his driver's license with me and I pulled it out of my wallet then staring at two of them. I looked at all of the people milling around and was amazed the man had chased us down in particular. Then my heart started to thump and I asked Mike what time it was and he replied, "Two p.m. Why do you ask?"

No comments: