Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Did my Brother Kill My Mother?

I have a brother named Mike, He is a chemist for a small fireproofing company, a "Honorary" Constable, and a self proclaimed doctor practicing without a license. His doctoring started about ten years ago when a friend of ours came down with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and then right after, a childhood friend of mine came down with the same form of cancer, and we both started investigating natural cures. I mostly studied herbal remedies relying heavily on a book, Prescription for Natural Healing. He, being a much more voracious reader and researcher, and having a lot more money, went much farther including ordering every gadget he could get his hands on. Our friends both died of the cancer we were fighting although we did see some progress, or delay in the death of, my friend. At that time we were pretty basic in our ideas i.e. teas to cleanse the body, whole natural foods, etc. with only one real oddity, a Rife Machine. A Rife Machine is a bioactive Frequency machine that puts out about 400 frequencies similar to sound waves that run through the body differently according to how we would hook the person up to it and it was effective on some things like making Squamous Cell Carcinoma tumors smaller and sometimes disappear. I went back to my normal life after my friend Jackie died but still kept my Rife machine to use on pain and whatever anyone wanted to try it for and I still use herbal teas when I can afford them for different mild ailments. Otherwise I use doctors like every one else in spite of my brother's proclamations over the years of all the deadly diseases he is curing and how he can even make new teeth grow. His stories grow more and more outlandish and I grew farther and farther apart from him as a hobby turned into an obsession for him. Then we had a complete falling out after my husband of 22 years left for cigarettes and never came home. Mike as well as many other people couldn't understand how it devastated me just from the shock alone and I spent a year in therapy and inpatient hospitalization until I was stable again. About this time we heard that out mother was dying from COPD and or Lupus and she was in the middle of winning a settlement from Dow Corning for breast implants. Mike had been telling everyone I was insane for taking so long to come back around after my world crashed down and I lost everything, and I mean everything, and he started trying to have me committed at every opportunity trying to use his Constable status for weight on his side. He tried to have me sent to Rusk for The Criminally Insane once when I was about to be discharged from a psych ward I had checked myself into to get withdrawn off of prescription Xanax. The head shrink came to see me and told me that my brother was downstairs flashing a badge demanding that I be sent to Rusk and that I was a danger to the public at large. I was horrified and asked if she believed him and she said, "Of course not! I've never seen such a pompous ass in my life! WE are just hoping he will cross the line so we can commit him. But we are going to hold you an extra hour or so so you can safely leave here."
Pompous ass. I would replay those words for years with a little giggle. You see, many people actually revere Mike and believe his stories of his own greatness to the degree he is almost treated like a god by some. When he told our large family that I was insane none of them except my children have spoken to me since.
Then my mother became extremely ill with pneumonia while my boyfriend and I were taking care of her at her home. I called Home Health and they came and checked her and said that she needed to go into the hospital. I called Mike but she told me to call him back and tell him that Jeremy, my boyfriend, and I would get her to the hospital, she didn't want him around her. She had at one time joined Mike in the witch hunt against me and felt deep regret for it before she died and a deep hatred of him for putting the distance between us with his stories of fear of me.
My mother was hospitalized at Bayshore Hospital in Pasadena, Texas for about a month and then they said that she needed to be moved to a long term hospital, Kindred Hospital, where they mostly die and never go home.
The first night mom was in Kindred she wanted Jeremy and me on either side of her and she kept grabbing our hands and putting them together saying "Stay together" (which we have!) and then shortly after we left she told a nurse that she was ready to die and when the nurse returned to her room Mom had removed her oxygen mask and was dead. Mike had signed full resuscitation for her so they fought and "brought her back" but the person they brought back was no longer my mother. I firmly believe to this day that the essence of who she was died that night.
Mike fought to keep her body alive as long as he could because he said he believed that until she had a belief in God like his she would go to Hell. And maybe there were other reasons, but I'll get to that later.
Mike agreed to have a breathing tube inserted in her throat and then a feeding tube in her stomach so he could ingest whatever he wanted into her. He got permission to give her herbs and wheatgrass through the tube but put many, many more things in there including massive amounts of habanero peppers and DMSO. She became very ill and in pain from these things but he kept on. I know they hurt her stomach because some dripped on her skin once and sh screamed and they made her bloat terribly. I was furious but afraid of saying anything because he held having me committed over my head at all times with his little badge so I just did what I could like tell him I would ingest the items into her after he left and he agreed and then I would give her the natural remedies we actually had permission for instead whenever possible. Then one night the head nurse pulled me aside and said that something my brother was doing must be raising her potassium to a dangerous level because Mom had had heart failure earlier and had to be fully resuscitated again from too much potassium. I decided to trust her and said look, I need help. I told her that when my brother left packages for me to ingest in her after he was gone to please throw them away when I couldn't get there because I was coming down with pneumonia although I just knew I was feeling really sick at the time. She said, "Really, Rhoda, what is he doing? Dr. Stein is thinking that Mike is treating her more like an experiment than a loving son trying to save his mother and he wants to have your brother banned from seeing her," and right then Mike walked up and cut our conversation short. I told Mike what the nurse had told me about Mom's potassium and he shook his head in disgust saying, "These uneducated doctors don't realize that when there is too much potassium in the blood it means the body is actually depleted of potassium and the person actually needs MORE potassium!" I couldn't wait him out that night and left him with her praying he wouldn't hurt her.
Mike called two hours later and told me that our mother was dead. I went straight to the hospital to find Mike sitting in the waiting room holding his head in his hands muttering, "I was sure I was right! What went wrong?!" and he looked up at me and said, "I gave her straight potassium tonight and it killed her."
There was never any love lost between my mom and Mike. She was just an experiment to him. And he couldn't resist a chance to prove a doctor wrong and killed our mother in the process. I would have said and done more at the time but she was already gone. I truly believe she herself had been gone for the six months since she put my hand in Jeremy's and told the nurse she was ready to die. But her body still suffered greatly at his hands. No one would believe me any how. Not over him even though I could have easily proven she had illegal DMSO in her system I already knew he would blame me. The crazy one who had been in psyche units to get over a bad marriage.
My mom told me she wanted to leave me everything but that I would have to split the money from Dow with Mike. I didn't care. I had lost the dearest person to me. The only one who every totally believed in me. The only family I had left after Mike's destruction of my character.
But the day after mom died Mike pulled up in one of his Cadillacs and came in my trailer and told me that he was gong to have to sell his grand piano to pay for her funeral and it would break his heart. I had a seven thousand dollar vase mom had given me to make sure I could at least buy myself a car after she died and I gave it to him so he would bury her nicely.
He didn't even have her embalmed. Her cheap, closed casket reeked of death and DMSO and when I asked them to open it so I could see her I found out that unembalmed bodies just roll around in there. I could hear her sliding around when they lifted her to carry. I cried for two months reminding myself that she was gone, not really in that shitty box rotting.
It took me a year but I did finally get my children speaking to me again. That's when my middle daughter, Jeanette, told me that Mike was still trying to prove me insane so I couldn't get my half of Mom's Dow settlement. I could care less about it but am a bit tickled that after all the money he spent trying to gt it himself he hasn't yet that I know of and likely will never get it because Dow is asking for another physical on the patient to release the money! BUT it also makes me wonder about that last dose of potassium he gave her. He killed her body no matter how you look at it but the ugly question is why? Did he give up on reviving her enough to get her to sign everything over to him in her deliriums? I turned him in to the authorities for practicing medicine without a license but of course no one cared. Except me. Rest in Peace my sweet Momma

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Its an useful information about rife machine.Rife Machine has been used successfully to treat many kinds of viruses and diseases like cancer, anthrax, influenza, TB, and every bacterium and virus.Thanks for posting this blog..

Rhoda said...

Alderson,
I was surprised by your comment. Not many have even heard of the Rife. I would be interested in your knowledge of it. I tried to contact you through your comment but couldn't.
Maybe you could let me know how to contact you???